Dissertation or thesis paper is a preface to any hands-on research work. It is definitely not a smooth task to carry out unless the proper method is known. It needs a lot of circumspection on one’s part to write a dissertation paper. Its not a child’s play, not a single ounce of nonchalance will yeild desired results. One has to be diligent enough to execute a dissertation. One has to abide by the rules of writing a dissertation. There are few suggestions that you can consult with before you start writing:
- Deciding on the topic- You have to hunt for that one particular topic/subject/domain that attracts you. Reviewing your own essays or paper is another best way to locate questions which remained unattended. You may also consult with your supervisor or professor, carry out research with the target to find gaps or review someone’s works.
- Designing the proposal- The proposal needs to be compact and fraught with details. You can address questions you wish to answer in your paper, state your position with dynamism, develop the theoretical structure and cover those areas which you would deal with. And finally elucidate on the prospect of your research work.
- Using sources effectively and doing the research- You must continue taking notes as you peruse information from different sources. Do not take excerpts from the texts directly, this will take away your liberty to improvise. Keep on doing research as the information from sources must match your topic.
- Writing the dissertation – While writing the draft do not deviate from what you decided on. Check whether the ideas have been defined properly, organize them well. Make a list of topics that each chapter would cover. Never write about everything that you know about the topic, priorities should be kept. Once you finish writing ask your supervisor for feedback and accordingly revise and edit.
- Managing time- Execution of your thesis should be your top priority. It is advisable not to waste time or pile your work up. Dissertation related work must be in rhythm with your lifestyle. Dedicate five days to researching and writing, even if it is for one hour. Give yourself ample time to ruminate over minute details and always discuss progress with the committee or supervisors.
Writing a dissertation is an evolutionary process. You cannot initiate and complete it without enough research or time. What is needed is patience, dedication and perseverence.